Many of the foods consumed on this day are fried, smothered in cheese--or both!--and washed down with beer or tequila. You can indulge in the fun without defeating your diet and fitness goals by choosing healthier Latin-inspired foods. Here are is one of my absolute favorite Cinco De Mayo recipes to help you have festive meal today or any day of the week, plus a drink that won't derail your diet.
1½ tsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
¾ tsp. ground cumin, divided use
½ tsp. ground chili powder
1 lb. raw medium shrimp, cleaned, deveined
¼ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp. finely chopped lime peel
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
8 corn tortillas (or 6-inch whole wheat tortillas), warm
1 cup shredded red and green cabbage
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 medium avocado, sliced
Fresh cilantro sprigs (for garnish; optional)
Fresh lime wedges (for garnish; optional)
1. Combine oil, garlic, ½ tsp. cumin, chili powder, and shrimp in a medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
2. Combine yogurt, remaining ¼ tsp. cumin, lime peel, lime juice, and cilantro in a small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
3. Heat medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
4. Add shrimp mixture; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until shrimp is firm and opaque.
5. Top each tortilla evenly with cabbage, tomato, shrimp, and avocado.
6. Garnish with cilantro and lime if desired; drizzle each taco with a small spoonful of yogurt mixture.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Fat: 12 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 143 mg
Sodium: 687 mg
Carbohydrate: 33 g
Fiber: 8 g
Sugar: 3 g
Protein: 21 g
P90X/P90X2 Portions (per serving)
P90X3 Portions (per serving)
Body Beast Portions (per serving)
21 Day Fix Portions (per serving)
Total Time: 18 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 3 min.
Yield: 4 servings, 2 tacos each
If you’re going to enjoy a margarita, this is my favorite drink of all time. It has a bright flavor and is also light on calories just 140!
Combine 1.5 oz. of silver tequila, 1 oz. fresh lime juice, 1 oz. fresh orange juice, and 1 tsp. agave nectar in a shaker. Shake and serve over ice and garnish with a slice of orange or lime.
How will you celebrate this Cinco de Mayo? What’s your favorite healthy Mexican recipe?
‘Til next time…enjoy & drink responsibly!
Sign Up Now: Meal Planning, Recipes, Nutrition Tips & More!